If you’re worried about how someone is behaving towards your child online (or another child you know) there are things you can do.

If you think a child is in immediate danger call the Police on 999  (emergency calls only). You can also contact the police in non-emergency situations on telephone 101.

The Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (CEOP) help children stay safe online. You can make a report to CEOP if someone has acted inappropriately towards your child (or a child you know) online. This could be sexual chat, asking a child something that makes them feel uncomfortable or insisting on meeting up.

Visit the CEOP website to make a report but please also tell Devon and Cornwall Police.

Depending on where the cyber bullying is taking place, if possible report the abuse using the site/app facilities if they exist. Save the evidence if you think you will need it later and block the user if possible.

If you think your child is being bullied online by someone from their school contact the school. Individual schools will have their own policies on bullying / cyber bullying. Whatever the policy if your child is being bullied by someone from their school or someone they don't know, they may need some additional support of some kind during school hours.

For a list of schools in Torbay and their contact details check out the schools pages on the Torbay Council website.

If you believe that bullying has reached a level where your child is at risk of serious harm or injury, please contact Devon and Cornwall Police on telephone 101 (non emergency number) and ask to speak with your local Police Community Support Officer. If the situation is urgent you can contact the police in an emergency on telephone 999.

Online criminal content includes:

  • child sexual abuse content
  • criminally obscene adult content
  • non-photographic child sexual abuse images

Criminal content should be reported to the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF).

Violent extremism isn’t just about ‘events’ it is the whole process used to recruit people into a dangerous way of thinking and behaving. People often think of violent extremism as ‘terrorism’ such as Al-Qaeda related terrorism and Irish related terrorism but it also includes other issues such as violent extremism associated with animal and environmental rights campaigns, and far left or right wing views. If you are concerned that your child has viewed illegal violent extremist information, pictures or videos on the internet you can report it anonymously using the Gov.UK website.
The Prevent Tragedies website has been created because of the increasing concern about the worrying numbers of young people who are putting themselves at risk by travelling to Syria and other conflict zones.

If you’re concerned about the safety of a child you know or you think a child isn't being looked after properly in Torbay you can report your concerns to the Torbay Safeguarding Hub.

If you work with young people you should have access to your own organisation’s safeguarding processes. For additional advice about internet safety concerns and young people there is a South West helpline for professionals working with children. To find out more visit the UK Safer Internet website.

Share this page: